June 16, 2016
Combat Loneliness When Traveling for Work
Ask anyone who travels for work: It’s not as glamorous as it looks, and many business travelers feel lonely when they’re on the road. To combat loneliness on your next trip, try the following:
• Don’t work in your room. If your hotel doesn’t offer coworking space, work in the hotel lobby or a nearby coffee shop.
• Steal small moments to stay in touch with people back home. Make quick calls to friends and family when you’re in transit, and use texts or pictures to stay connected.
• Skype or FaceTime. Seeing your loved ones’ faces, even for brief moments, is a huge help.
• Sightsee. Find some time to enjoy what’s unique about the places you’re visiting.
• Bring someone along. Have a companion when you can, or meet up with friends and colleagues in the area.
• Make the most of alone time. Read a book, watch a movie, or get to bed early.